Category Archives: techniques

Happy Easter

These are some experiments with shading on fabric. For the bunny I used Inktense pencils, layering them to get the depth and values I wanted. The egg was painted with acrylic inks. Both worked well for shading objects, they can be used on paper or fabric, and are both permanent on fabric.

While the inktense pencils could be used darker, and the acrylic inks diluted, they do have their own natural intensity the way I use them.

Jump Start on the New Year

I’d almost forgotten that today was Saturday, which generally means a few hours in the studio for me. It was a welcome reprieve after the week of festivities.

I decided to get a head start on my January work: messy play.

I used the same technique on all of these fabrics. I started with lightly dyed fabrics, and applied colour vie paint with a thermofax screen (this initial paint application, when wet, acts as a resist for more paint). Then I used other colours of the same paint to prepare a monoprint on glass, and applied the screenprinted fabric to it.

This is the first time I’d tried this approach, and I am thrilled. I can see room for improvement, as I work with it further, but I am impressed with how easy it is to create complex fabrics this way.

Happy New Year!

Screen Printing Class Notes

My setup:
I am using a padded 14″ x 20″ ironing board, with a layer of vinyl fabric over top, and an old cotton sheet on top of that.

The two bird images were done with acrylic paint with fabric medium added. The screen was made with wet, torn newspaper. I posted two images, the first and third prints, to show how much the edges softened in subsequent printings.

The flower images were done with a freezer paper stencil. The opaque green one is speedball fabric screenprinting ink, and the more translucent green one is colour vie fabric paint.

I found with all 3 paints I required 2 passes to get solid colour.

The biggest challenge I had, I think, was that my squeegee wasn’t quite wide enough to cover the whole width of the open screen, so in the flower ones where I was printing the whole width, the very edges didn’t always get full coverage.