Monthly Archives: January 2010

Auction for Olive Tree Projects

Simon’s cousin Sarah is a midwife in Haiti. She survived the earthquakes, but now finds herself in the position of looking after far more people than she imagined, and will likely be opening an orphanage to help kids who lost their parents in the quakes. Her website is here: http://www.olivetreeprojects.com/

I donated two pieces for a raffle for her charity, Olive Tree Projects.

The first, is the very first art quilt I made, a depiction of the end of the Niagara Escarpment, in Fall. It is appliqu├ęd using fusible webbing, commercial prints and batiks, and free motion quilted:

The second, is a piece based on an image generated with Context Free Art. The piece was derived from the code for this one: Bubble Moosic. It is handpainted, coloured with pastels, straight quilted, then hand beaded;

Together with another piece donated by Chelsea Treahy, our auction raised $995!

Leaf construction

These are the leaves for my pillow:

I painted these with ColourVie pigments. All pigment quantities are per approx. 2 tbsp pigment base. Except as noted below, all paints were thinned with salt, and low-volume immersion painted in ziploc baggies.

Leftmost leaf
Dark fabric: 1 Turquoise, 1 Pink, 10 Yellow
Light fabric: 1 Green, 1 Yellow
The dark inner leaf fabric was painted a little differently: I used a silicone kitchen brush to streak uncoloured pigment base onto the fabric, then streaked the paint on top of this.
I satin stitched the dark inner leaf to the front of leaf. Sewed the front, back, and batting, and turned right side out. Straight stitched the veins on the dark inner leaf.

Rightmost leaf
Dark fabric: 2 Green, 1 Pink, 10 yellow
Light fabric: 1 Green, 5 Yellow
I sewed the front, back, and batting of the leaf, holding the light highlight pieces in place (I should have fused them, to hold them more firmly), and turned right side out. Then satin stitched the edges of the highlights, and the other veins.

Top leaf:
Dark fabric: 1 Turquoise, 1 Red, 10 Yellow
Light fabric: 1 Blue, 2 Yellow
I fused the dark patches to the front of the leaf, before sewing the front, back and batting. Then after turning, I free motion quilted the center vein, and around the patches.

Bottom leaf:
Dark fabric: 2 Blue, 1 Pink, 10 Yellow
Light fabric: 2 Green, 1 Red, 10 Yellow
I fused the dark patches to the front of the leaf, before sewing the front, back and batting. Then after turning, I free motion quilted the center vein, and around the patches.

Smocking

This is what I used for the base of my leaf pillow.
3″ x 6″ rectangles, all the interesting green fabrics in my stash.

Smocked with the “North American Smocking” pattern, in Folded Fabric Elegance by Rami Kim. Initial size before smocking was 35″ x 21″, to make a final piece approx. 18″ square: